Snapchat is becoming increasingly popular and some of you may be using it in your personal life, but is it useful for you as a writer? First let’s talk about what Snapchat is and then go into the possible uses for writers.
Snapchat is an image and video sharing app. Posts or “snaps” vanish after followers view them. Snaps disappear within ten seconds after viewing, which means you have a short amount of time to get the viewer’s attention. This app is used mostly by Millennials and teenagers.
So, how can writers use Snapchat?
- Share a picture of the first page of your book, your book cover or pictures from book events you’ve had.
- You can use it to discuss your writing, your writing inspiration or your life as a writer. Basically, you can let viewers see who you are.
- This app can be used to share writing tips. These tips can be in the form of an image or you can make a short video.
- Run a promotion for your book. For example, you could provide an exclusive discount code for your book or book event.
- A call to action is another great use for this app. Ask your readers to share pictures reading your book or videos talking about book.
- The best way writers can use Snapchat is to tell a story. While the standard snaps disappear quickly, you can use snaps to create a story that can be viewed for up to 24 hours.
Since this app is dominated by a younger generation, if you write young adult books, this might be a great way to reach your readers. If your target audience is from a different generation, Snapchat might not be beneficial for you. The great thing about Snapchat is that it is still relatively new so it could be a great market opportunity for you to stand out and reach potential readers. Snapchat is meant to be a fun app, so try it out and have fun with it to see if it benefits you.
Note: This blog will not disappear after viewing.